Please Note: Zoom can also be utilized on its own (without creating a Canvas meeting) to record screen captures/presentations/lectures by simply starting a meeting from the Zoom app and recording the session. CLICK HERE to view tutorials for more general uses.
- To record a Zoom meeting that you have created through Canvas first make sure that you have selected the Record the meeting automatically on the local computer option when you set up the meeting.
- Select the meeting you want to start/record and click Start
- You will be directed to a page that will prompt you to either install the Zoom app or open the app (if it's already installed). Select the appropriate option for you situation to open the Zoom app and start the meeting.
- Once the meeting opens, make sure to enable your mic and camera by clicking their icons at the bottom of the screen.
- Confirm that recording is in progress by looking at the top or bottom of the screen at the recording controls. If you did not set the meeting to auto record, you can start recording at this time by clicking the record button at the bottom of the screen.
- When the meeting/recording has competed, click End Meeting to stop the recording and meeting. You will get a popup asking how you would like to end the meeting. Click End meeting for all.
- Once you end the meeting you will also see a popup that your meeting recording is being processed or converted. This is saving video and audio files to your computer of the meeting recording.
- Once the conversion/saving is complete, a file explorer should pop up with your recording files. There will usually be 3 files, an audio only file, a playback file and a video file that will end with .mp4. The video file is what you will want to use to upload to Canvas for students to view.
- To post a recording to Canvas, open a page, module, announcement, or assignment (anywhere you can enter data using the rich content editor) and click on the Record/Upload Media button at the top of the editor.
- Then click Upload Media from the top tab and then Select Video File
- Select the video file that was saved to your computer in step 8 and click upload. Once the video file has loaded into Canvas it will be accessible by students at the location you post it.
HOW TO FIND RECORDED VIDEOS
In the event that you cannot find the location of the saved Zoom recordings on your computer here is how to find them:
- Open the Zoom app by searching for Zoom or opening it from your Start Menu or Applications folder.
- Sign into the app if needed.
- Click on the meetings button at the top of the screen.
- Click Recorded on the left side of the screen.
- Select the desired recording from the left side
- Click the Open button on the right side to open the folder containing recordings
Default Recording Locations: